nafex - [NAFEX] Luscious Plums

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Luscious Plums
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:22:32 -0500

Alan Haigh said, "One of the rarest fruits in the experience of Americans is tree ripened European plums. You can't even find them at farm stands any place I've lived because they're always picked too hard."

Alan,
Here in Minnesota, if the plums aren't hard, people won't buy them. If plums are smaller than a Satsuma, people won't buy them. Our buying public is so caught up with the way fruit is available in the grocery stores that they expect farmers' market produce should be likewise. I cut down many of my plum trees because there is no sale for small plums (Underwood, South Dakota, Toka, Tecumseh, etc.). They will buy my Superior plums, but only if they are hard.
When gray-haired ladies would ask what to do with (small) plums, I used to suggest, "Make jam," to which they would scoff saying, "Oh, my grandma used to do that."
I don't sell at farmers' markets anymore and I here that things are slowly changing. I hear that folks will actually buy a tomato that has a blemish now.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: