nafex - Re: [NAFEX] making jam from frozen fruit

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] making jam from frozen fruit
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:48:23 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Title: My VistaPrint Electronic Business Card

I have found that jam made in mid-winter from frozen fruit is just as tasty as made from fresh, but the combination of frozen fruit and drier winter air requires some small adjustments to the summer recipe unless you use a thermometer.  My wife likes to use the dripping off of a large spoon to test readiness to can, but in winter that happens at a lower pot temperature, and the resulting jam is a little too soft (if you want firm jam), so use a thermometer.

Jim

Diane wrote"

"with 9 gallons of red currants frozen to await jelly making in December instead of July"

I've wondered about this, is jam from frozen frozen fruit and less tasty than jam from fresh fruit (assuming both are home grown)?  Like Diane, we have more time in the winter months, and it's easier on the utility bills, to can in the winter.  Obviously, for fresh eating, fresh fruit is much tastier than fruit that's been frozen and thawed, but does it work the same for fruit used for jams?

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC

  • Re: [NAFEX] making jam from frozen fruit, nottke1, 08/31/2008