nafex - [NAFEX] Vole (Meadow mouse) problems

  • From: Sue Christensen <sue@hoodel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vole (Meadow mouse) problems
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:29:42 -0400

At this point I may have to rename my farm "Vole Haven" ! Darn it-I'd like to know how people deal successfully with voles!!!

My young trees have hardware cloth barriers, we mow and trim the weeds. We're still infested with voles in the main garden. Currently we use traps and catch around 6 a day, but they are still coming! In there, they've gnawed through squash plants and eaten the beets and potatoes down to nubbins. I'm worried about my small fruit shrubs now too. I understand the buggers can climb at least somewhat so how does that help surrounding an area with protective hardware cloth barriers? I was thinking of trying Lee Reich's no-till ideas, but now I'm wondering if all that compost/mulch lying on top of the ground might be yet another draw to these buggers to breed in. There used to be native barn cats all over, but I see fewer of them now and am not sure what happened to all of them as there is obviously FOOD here!

What on earth did people do about voles historically when they required much larger gardens for self sustenance? What do you all do to protect your investments in plants and time from these pests?

Thanks,
Sue in Pennsylvania