nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:41:45 -0600

Donna, I was over in the Cookeville area several times last year following
the freeze, and while there was clearly a major impact there, it was very
obvious that the freeze was not nearly as devastating as here just nw of
Nashville. Spring usually arrives a couple of weeks later there than here,
so that probably made a big difference. We also only had one single
significant rain last year from the first of March through the middle of of
October. Maybe there is a threshold at which populations completely crash,
that we crossed?

Just for clarification, we don't have the paper wasp "yellow jackets" here,
just the ground nesting types that are locally called "meat bees". Not only
have I not seen or smelled any skunks this year, but there is no sign of
digging in my yard or around my pasture where there have been many nests in
previous years. The bird populations also seem to be markedly reduced. They
normally get most of my blueberries, but this year I had almost no losses to
birds at all. However, turkeys and deer are still abundant. The deer
probably survived because they ate everything that I watered last year!

Hal