nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:08:59 -0500

We had no fruit due to late freeze last year plus terrible drought, and only saw 3 yellow jackets the whole summer, but this year they are making up for it. The thing is that if there's no competition, a single hive will make more queens for the next year, so bottlenecks in the population are generally shortlived. We had only a very few wasps survive the freeze last year, but those few nests had huge numbers of young queens by the end of the summer. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. Hal may just have had some skunks move into his neighborhood this year. Donna