nafex - [NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:57:57 -0400

Alan, I am surprised you are not getting quality Satsumas. I have found they need a lot of hang time on the tree, to the point where there is almost no green left and a very slight angled pull frees them. Harvested earlier they are not nearly as good. I have been very happy with them in my Maryland climate - they are at this point my best plum, with a rich aromatic flavor that is hard to forget. The only drawback is they are a bit smaller, more like a Shiro in size. They are a touch better than the Redhearts, which are also very good and are larger. I have about given up on Elephant Heart due to all the problems my tree has had with bacterial spot. On your recommendation I put in a Fortune this year and am hopeful it also likes my climate.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum, Scott Smith, 08/15/2008