nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Orchard Planning Resources

  • From: David Doud <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Orchard Planning Resources
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:10:29 -0400

apple trees require a certain volume of space to be 'happy' - they will naturally occupy that volume in differing configurations if allowed their natural form - (some are upright, some spread, some droop) - so, yes, you can train (one component of training is pruning) a semi-dwarf tree to a low form and keep it 'happy' and productive - the down side is that it's more work to achieve this form -

give yourself plenty of room for each tree and life and training will be a lot easier -