nafex - [NAFEX] Flavor of Centurion variety rabbiteye blueberry

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Flavor of Centurion variety rabbiteye blueberry
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:29:33 -0400

Last year I made a comment that I thought that the Centurion variety of
rabbiteye had a more complex flavor than most.

This year I have been thoughtfully tasting, trying to quantify it for a
better description. Not being a professional taster, I will give it a
shot: intense, jammy flavor with bright notes of acid. Best tasting
blueberry I grow, the bush is vigorous and upright.

I will mention a caveat. I liked the flavor of this variety so much I
planted it at another location about 15 miles away. That new plant is
just starting to bear. I tasted the fruit on the new plant this year and
thought that it was nothing special! Go figure.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC