nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shelling butternuts

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shelling butternuts
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:52:27 +0200

Hallo Deb,

the strongest and absolute best nut cracker for black walnuts, butternuts and all other nuts is

the Master Nut Cracker
nuttynuts@centurytel.net

Sold at USA and Canada and shipped e.g. also to Europe.
I know some others, but this is the best - indeed!

ciao
hans

Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu schrieb:
5831e6f21eac4e99b91c42472e788837.Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" type="cite">
Like Jim, I use a vise to crack black walnuts and
shellbark hickory nuts.
I do, however, remove the husk material and wash them
to remove the bulk of the husk material -
particularly with black walnuts(I've got no
experience with butternuts), as the husks turn black
& mushy, the kernel will become stained and may take
on some 'off-flavors'.
If you'll soak your nuts in a pan/bucket of hot water
for an hour or so before beginning a session of
cracking, the shells will absorb enough moisture that
they'll bend, buckle, and split, rather than
exploding into pieces when you reach 'critical pressure'.
Usually, with the vise, a pair of diagonal
wire-cutting pliers, and a nutpick, I can get mostly
intact halves/quarters out of the thickest-shelled BW
or hickory - though hickory nuts with prominent
internal ridges do tend to 'trap' some kernels.

Lucky