nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:12:47 -0500

I've been busy this summer, so I'm REALLY behind on my emails. I'm more than a bit late replying to everything.

Jim Fruth wrote:
I get the beads from a store that sells hobby and craft supplies. Red,
spherical, beads come in several sizes. Some are faceted and work as well as
the plain ones. I buy beads that are the most similar to the size of the
fruit that I'm trying to imitate. I use these in my cherry and amelanchier.

I've been stopping at craft stores here, but haven't found anything. The only beads I find are tiny little things, nowhere near the size of a cherry or any other fruit. But this sounds like a great idea, so I'll keep looking.

Although,... I think my Northstar cherry tree has died. It's three years old and I've never had any previous trouble with it. Due to the freeze last year, this is the first year I've had cherries, though not too many. It had lots of blossoms, but I had a real shortage of bees earlier this spring.

But after we had an extra 5 inches of rain in June (that's a lot for Nebraska, though we didn't have flooding or anything), the leaves on the Northstar steadily turned yellow and dropped off. There's not a leaf on it now. It's in a flat area, not a depression or anything, and none of my other fruit trees had any problem (most have needed extra water since then, but there's been no irrigation anywhere near the cherry).

But there are no signs of borers or any other problem, so I imagine it must have been the rainy June. I'm pretty new at all this, though.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Even in the developing world, where I spend lots of time doing my work, if you tell them that you're from MIT and you tell them that you do science, it's a big deal. If I go to India and tell them I'm from MIT, it's a big deal. In Thailand, it's a big deal. If I go to Iowa, they could give a rat's ass. - Kip Hodges