nafex - Re: [NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:42:47 -0400

fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
Well this year I faced for the first time a new pest, the Japanese beetle.
My yard, apparently was a paradise for them. I a have never encounter these
loathsome creatures before, nor do I ever wish to again. they devastated my
cherry and plum trees, ate my raspberries and devoured my grape plants...I
noticed they avoided my pear tree and all my apple tree but on variety, they
singled out my honeycrips, all three of them even though interplanted with
other apple trees!!!

I can only speak of my yard, but with 18 varieties, I find it odd that the only damage is to each of the three honeycrisp trees.
the fluffy bunny

I went a couple of decades free of Japanese beetles after other areas were having problems. Then a few showed up. More and more each year. I feel that finally there are fewer this year than last year but it could be that's it has been so rainy that I haven't been out to see what they are doing. Your wish to never have to deal with them again will certainly go unfulfilled. :-(

You are exactly right about the Honeycrisp apples. I have only 4 apple trees. One is a Honeygold and the other 3 have multiple grafts. Up to 9 cultivars per tree. Two years ago, the Japanese Beetles were all over my grapes and I noticed them on one of the apple trees. A closer inspection showed that every beetle was on a branch grafted to Honeycrisp. Not a single beetle or any evidence of damage to a single leaf that wasn't Honeycrisp.

Steve in the Adirondacks