nafex - Re: [NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:23:29 -0500

Same here. The Japanese beetles have left alone every apple except Honeycrisp. They have not touched the Asian pears, apricot or cherry, just the Honeycrisp. Of course, they've demolished the grapes and all the roses. What is it about Honeycrisp that attracts them? I have nine apple varieties, two Asian pears, one apricot and one cherry planted in beds where the trees are about 12 feet apart. It makes no sense to me. Hopefully, a breeder or researcher on this listserv will have some answers.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border, Zone 4b