nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saved by skunks!

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saved by skunks!
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:20:38 -0500

I put together and printed all the yellowjacket trap tips you all sent, and took it home Saturday.  It quickly became apparent that there was already a dramatic reduction in yellow jackets, down to very tolerable numbers.  Next day my husband found a deep hole in the woods, much deeper than the other two nests we'd already found dug up.  The skunk must have found the biggest nest and had to dig down to a lower tier to get them all.   What a relief!   But thanks for all the advice, we may yet need it when the population gets up to the irritating level at the normal time of year for that to happen.  I suppose though that broccoli will have worms again.  I think the yellow jackets had removed most of them for a few weeks there.
    Lately the wild blackberries had seemed to ratty to pick.  I notice there are more of them in the ripe stage now, I think the yellow jackets had been chewing up all the ripe ones.     Donna