nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wasps

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wasps
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

Fruit eating wasps are a big problem for me.  I have watched the wasps slowly chew a hole in the side of a small fruit, such as a gooseberry, then calmly eat the interior of the fruit.  If the wasp is disturbed, they will frequently not be able to find their way back to the fruit with a hole, but land on another and chew another hole.  Once there is a hole in the fruit, flies show up and continue the feeding process.  I lost most of my gooseberry crop last year to this process.  This year, I have been trapping and fighting them, so have had better access to the fruit for harvest, but the amount of damage is still significant, maybe 50%.

Next year I will be covering with cloth and fiberglass screen (mix to let light in but let me see the crop without uncovering) as the damage always appears to happen before the fruit is fully ripe.

By the way, this is the same kind of wasp that pollinates my yellow raspberries.  I would not  mind sharing but they are too destructive and greedy.

John