nafex - [NAFEX] wasps

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wasps
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:18:55 -0400

Jeez, Rivka, I said I was joking.  If I can be Elmer Fudd can't I imagine you as Snowhite?  Anyway it amazes me that your wasps never become a problem with damaging fruit as it is quite common here.  They have even sucked the juice out of grapes protected by nylon stocking.  I know the difference between bird damage and wasp damage and wasps are often more destructive here only they don't fly away when you approach the tree.  This doesn't mean that I attempt to eliminate wasps from my property, but in a bad year when there is a population explosian and yellow jackets seem to be swarming my entire property and guests won't even stand outside I will attempt to reduce the population.

Maybe if I gentally relocated their nests they'd return the kindness and stop chewing holes in my fruit and maintain reasonable population control.