nafex - Re: [NAFEX] off topic: Disney images

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] off topic: Disney images
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:35:37 -0400

On Jul 21, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

Rivka, I didn't mean Snowhite, it is another Disney heroine, the one whose carriage turns to a pumpkin at midnight.  My brain is really deteriorating fast but there is a scene early in the movie where she's putting out the wash on a line and all the wildlife is singing and dancing around her and helping her hang the clothes.  That image is how I see you (not the rest of the story-line) so please don't burst my bubble if it's not absolutely necessary._

Generally it's the cats who "help" me hang the clothes. The deer are busy eating all the leaves off the swiss chard and the beets. And if Disney did that to the Cinderella story they pretty much destroyed the original sense of the story (which would not surprise me; I generally stay away from any "Disney" stuff done after Walt died).

The problem with seeing it that way is that it's hard to take seriously the idea of working as much as possible with, rather than against, the other species here, if the only way you can imagine doing so is in the current Disney fashion. If you like that bubble, feel free to stay in it, I won't keep going on about this; but no, that's not how it works (when it works, which isn't always), or what it feels like from here.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly