nafex - Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets, help!

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets, help!
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:35:29 -0500

We have never seen the like of yellow jackets. I take that back, once we did in the 1980's when we set the kids to killing queen wasps in the spring. They kept count and killed 600. That year Mother Nature filled the vacuam with yellow jackets. It is an experiment we will never repeat! Anyway, the yellow jackets are so thick that I have been stung twice already, in July when they are not normally a problem. The first time was on my right index finger, as I stood on a ladder cutting a branch from a hickory to try some summer budding. The second time was dusk, one flew inside my shirt as I was walking along. Picking blackberries has required examining each fruit from all sides before touching it. We have discovered that MOST of them go to bed fairly early so we can pick blueberries. I have seen two holes where skunks have dug out nests in the woods, but the remaining nests are surely growing by the day.
We have never managed to make a yellow jacket trap that worked. We bought one at Tractor Supply that has collected a total of 2 in a week. Do you all have any suggestions? Donna