nafex - [NAFEX] Lightning Awareness

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lightning Awareness
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:24:09 +0000

This came over another list-serv last month. (Sorry! I'm catching up an a
backlog of emails & nafex-posts!) I know NAFEXrs have more common sense than
average, but I have to admit this year I find myself trying to finish "just
one more row" as the storms approach. Too easy to have that false sense of
security out in the orchard & garden. Be careful!

_______________________________

When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!

Lightning Safety Week: June 22-28, 2008 [or ANY summer week!!]

Here is the NOAA link to information about lightning,
including a fairly current map of lightning strikes:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/

So far, at the time of this note,
there were 2,926 strikes in the past two hours
in the continental United States.

Safe Buildings:

A safe building is one that is fully enclosed with a roof, walls and floor,
such as a home, school, office building or a shopping center. Even inside
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/indoors.htm
you should take precautions. Picnic shelters, dugouts, sheds and other
partially open or small structures are NOT safe.

Enclosed buildings are safe because of wiring and plumbing. If lightning
strikes these types of buildings, or an outside telephone pole, the
electrical current from the flash will typically travel through the wiring or
the plumbing into the ground. This is why you should stay away from showers,
sinks, hot tubs, etc., and electronic equipment such as TVs, radios, and
computers.

When a Safe Location is Nearby:

* Seek safe shelter when you first hear thunder, see dark threatening
clouds developing overhead or lightning. Count the seconds between the time
you see lightning and hear the thunder.

* Stay inside until 30 minutes after you last hear thunder.

What if a safe location isn't nearby? What if you're working at a site
after hours? What if you're working with children?
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

For kids:

* http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/pdfs/leoncoloringpage.pdf

* http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/kids.htm