nafex - [NAFEX] root barriers

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] root barriers
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:46:26 -0700

There's been quite a bit of research over the years about root barriers, so if you're thinking about using a barrier strategy you best do some research.

I remember that plastic doesn't work for long because the roots will grow around it while the polypropylene black fabric used in gro-bags allows the small roots to penetrate its' pours but girdles them as they expand.  I believe a similar fabric is used for the construction of drainage ditches to prevent the entrance of silt.  This fabric might be the economical ticket.

I've often considered using something like this when trying to protect establishing trees from the competing roots of much larger established trees, especially alleopathic types like black-walnuts.  Anyone out there have any experience at this strategy?