nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question on Plum curculio

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question on Plum curculio
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:22:08 -0700

Chickens have long been used as a partial control.  The animals that have done the best job in studies have been pigs; but if chickens or guineas are what you have, they should help.  I also wonder how deep the grubs go; there have been some people using burning to control curculio, and report success; makes me think they must not be so far down they’re protected from the heat.  The burning thing isn’t scientific – it’s anecdotal, not a large study.  The results with pigs have been anectodotal but there have been so many tries over the years you can accumulate the experiences and get a positive metaanalysis; and that had been encouraging enough to yield more structured trials, including whether the curculio grubs can survive their trip through the pig (no, they can’t).

~ Stephen