nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question on Plum curculio

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question on Plum curculio
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:06:47 -0500

When the our peaches and plums first dropped the curculio were still in them.  Sometimes fruit that had been on the ground for a few days no longer had grubs in them.  I wonder, how deep do the grubs go down?  I assume that if chickens were on hand all year round, they'd get some when they first leave the fruit, and when they start coming up in the spring.  They also peck the fallen fruit, to eat it yes, but also looking for the grubs inside, which they consider the best part.   Donna