nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Opuntia humifusa

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: <tomelzear@earthlink.net>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Opuntia humifusa
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 17:44:38 -0700

You generally sieve the pulp and leave the seeds behind. The puree can be
used in a fruit salad (or part of the dressing), made into syrup or jam,
used in cocktails (e.g. margaritas), in smoothies, in popsicles, in juice
blends, in vinaigrettes, in sweet and sour sauce, mixed with soft drinks -
anywhere you might use a fruit puree. You can use prickly pear syrup in
place of grenadine; different flavor, but it works.
The upper paddles of Opuntia, called nopales, are also harvested, dethorned,
and used in cooking. They can also be diced, boiled for 15 minutes in
salted water, and chilled for tender nopales, or nopalitos. Nopalitos can
be used in salads or in place of fresh. But that's not a fruit, so I'm off
topic...but they can be used where you would use mild chiles or okra, which
are fruits, so maybe I'm back.
Opuntia can be very hardy; they like the desert because of the dry, not the
heat. Some Opuntia grow north of the arctic circle. They're commonly grown
in California as an ornamental - I don't know how many people harvest them.
I've read that it's illegal in CA to harvest them within 100 yards of a
roadway - which would be my entire yard. I haven't been arrested yet.

~ Stephen