nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Opuntia humifusa

  • From: "Matt Demmon" <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Opuntia humifusa
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:45:22 -0400

It seems to ripen in september/october in michigan. Only eaten it once, it was a small wild one. Popped the whole thing in my mouth, no problems with spines or hairs. It was mild flavored, but sweet and a nice nibble. In my opinion, it's probably not worth making things out of because the flavor is so mild, but good for a quick snack. Maybe a sweetened drink could be made out of it.

matt
z5 se michigan