nafex - [NAFEX] Climate Change

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Climate Change
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:25:24 -0500

The US Government Office of Climate Change has released a summary report on the effects of greenhouse gasses so far on US climate and what is expected in the future.  A quick very depressing summary is at http://downloads.climatescience.gov/sap/sap3-3/Brochure-CCSP-3-3.pdf

As well, a longer discussion is at http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/sap/sap3-3/final-report/default.htm

Both are worth thinking about as we "plan" our fruit tree planting.

My studies here in the Houston area show that by far the hottest summer months have occurred in the last 20 years when compared with the previous 120.  There are also parts of the Houston area that are in zone 10.

Using data that is now readily available on the internet mainly from the National Weather Service, it is fairly easy if one is willing to work at a computer to develop good regional information about chill and winter lows and frosts.  See  http://www.urbanharvest.org/advice/basics/weather_data.html

for an effort to establish a way to track the weather changes we have been experiencing.

In our area, there is a huge range of winter weather, with tropicals and semi-tropicals easy or possible in some places and impossible in others.

Bob Randall
"Share What You Grow and What You Know!"

Bob Randall, Ph.D.
YearRoundGardening@comcast.net
713-661-9737