nafex - [NAFEX] artichokes

  • From: "Harrick, Barbara" <b.harrick@ilslaunch.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] artichokes
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 07:09:22 -0400

The artichokes are in a raised bed (10" sides, SE corner). My cold frame
buts up against one side of the row. I know you are supposed to cut them
down etc., but they were not all that tall (2 ft.) last year as I
started them from seed in the ground.

I covered them with the 28 degree winter fabric and I'm sure they
received some insulation from the cold frame on one side. They are now
over 5 ft. tall.

Jim, when you start them indoors--it that by seed and in a 5 gal. bucket
or do you transplant them while they are inside after starting them in
something smaller?

Stephen--thanks for the spray/feeding instructions--I have Neem etc.
already so I will spray them after work today!

Thanks for you very helpful responses!! Barbara

Barbara Harrick
Senior Technical Editor/Writer
International Launch Services
1660 International Dr., Suite 800
McLean, VA 22102
office (571) 633-7430
fax (571) 633-7536

DISCLAIMER
This electronic message transmission contains information which may be
confidential or proprietary information belonging to ILS International
Launch Services, Inc. and/or Lockheed Khrunichev Energia International
Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or the
information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the original transmitter
immediately by phone or by e-mail and delete the original message and
any copies that may have been made of it.

Barbara,
I have over-wintered them here in zone 3 but there is a better way.
start them indoors and plant them out in late May/Early June. I plant
them
in 5-gallon nursery pots watering them with trickle irrigation using
5-20-30
fertilizer. Plants grow rapidly and, as soon as they get root-bound,
they
start putting on chokes.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm