nafex - [NAFEX] buying Sambucus

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] buying Sambucus
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:30:28 -0500

Ernest Plutko wrote, "Jim: I have York and Johns elderberries which I believe are S
canadensis. This spring I do not see any signs of life with them yet."

Ernest,
When I ordered Elderberry by nursery name, I usually got Sambucus nigra, or who knows what, regardless of what the nursery claimed to be selling. I bought several and I'm going to give them all a dose of Round-Up because, while some of them had good yields for their first years, now they die back every year, even after the mildest of Winters. If you want something that is going to grow and produce here in our Northern climate, buy from somebody who advertises "American Elderberry" like:
http://www.naturehills.com/product/american_elderberry.aspx?gclid=CMD3hKTw35MCFQnIsgodIxopYw I didn't get mine from them; in fact, I don't remember where I got mine from. My S. canadensis (American Elderberry) have been producing faithfully for years and my weather is nearly identical to yours.
On second thought, get some starts from me. Put my email in your tickler file under March, 2009 and give me a holler then, together with your postal mailing address.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] buying Sambucus, Jim Fruth, 06/06/2008