nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, kiwis, grapes, deer

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, kiwis, grapes, deer
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:03:03 -0500

On blueberries, in the south we want the season for picking them fresh to last as long as possible.  On the hardy kiwis, you'd better ask if they are successful in your area, and consider whether you are in a frost pocket.  You might actually do better up north than in the south where the spring frosts tend to wipe out the blooms.
    Betty wrote: while I obviously have not tasted all the
domestic ones, the only variety I have found that carries even a hint
of the wild flavor is Blueray. The others are just sweet and bland."  I had forgotten about that.  Apparently most of the blueberries for sale fresh in stores are the most boring of all;  lowbush blueberries have a reputation for being sweet and bland.  Better choose from highbush varieties unless the lowbush fill in some other gap in your year or your plantings.  After all, something tart could balance the flavor in a pie, in jam or in wine.  Donna