nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Identification

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Identification
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:54:38 -0500

Purple leaf peaches have often been used as peach rootstocks, because it makes it easy for nurserymen to spot failed buds and cull the purple plants.   A friend has purple leaf peach trees that she grew from seed that probably came originally from the nurseries in the nearby nursery town of McMinnville.
    There are also dwarf purple leaf peaches sold as ornamentals, the seeds tend to come true.  I noticed a purple leaf peach coming up in the garden this week, seems like my friend has given me seedlings but I didn't plant one there, so who knows where it came from.
    Purple leaf peaches have been discussed on this group before, if you want to look back in time.  Maybe 2 years ago.   Donna