nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, kiwis, grapes, deer

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, kiwis, grapes, deer
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:25:35 -0400

There are three main variables in blueberry flavor: sweetness, tartness,
and degree of intensity. The actual flavor doesn't vary a whole lot, and
the intensity of it is closely linked to the size of the fruit, since a lot
of the 'flavor' is in the skin.

I've been frustrated because different sources disagree (a lot) on which
are the tastiest blueberries. A couple of catalogs do attempt to rate
this, however. I've planted a lot of blueberries that I hope to have good
flavor based on descriptions, but only three have really reached bearing
age:

st. cloud
northsky
northcountry

I think all of these have excellent flavor. St. Cloud has probably been
the best cropper, in part just because it's the largest plant. (until
recently my only god blueberry spot was in front of a window, and I also
wanted short plants, so as not to block the view.) but I have been very
happy with it.

I've also planted:
Rubel
Little Giant
Elizabeth
Patriot

check back with me in 3-5 years and i'll let you know how I like them. :-)

___
Ginda
zone 6, eastern Mass.