nafex - [NAFEX] Artichokes, not quite a fruit, but...

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Artichokes, not quite a fruit, but...
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:57:24 -0500

Barbara Harrick said, "I have finally overwintered and grown artichokes on the East
Coast in zone 6b!!!! It has taken many years of try and try again, but
I have finally done it."

Barbara,
I have over-wintered them here in zone 3 but there is a better way. I start them indoors and plant them out in late May/Early June. I plant them in 5-gallon nursery pots watering them with trickle irrigation using 5-20-30 fertilizer. Plants grow rapidly and, as soon as they get root-bound, they start putting on chokes.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: