nafex - Re: [NAFEX] raspberries

  • From: Sheridan Shumway <rattler_mt@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] raspberries
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 11:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

i cant even get buds to come from last years
wood.....i think our -40 to -60 before windchill in
the winter is rough on the canes. all my growth comes
from the roots regardless of the variety and how i
prune. we planted a Fall Gold 2 years ago and Lantham
and Heritage last year but got an unknown red
hitchhiker with the Fall Gold...have Royalty Purple
canes sitting down at the office that ill get in the
ground this weekend. the absolute hardest thing for me
with any fruit flower or tree is getting it through
its first winter. add our hot dry summers into the mix
and everything i plant looks like crap through the
first summer, if i get them through the winter they
look a lil better the next year but after two winters
everything is generally acclimated and starts doing
well. i dont start judging my plants till they are 2
or 3 years old

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana
zone 3/4

  • Re: [NAFEX] raspberries, Sheridan Shumway, 05/17/2008