nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bird protection for cherries - As they do it in China.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bird protection for cherries - As they do it in China.
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 21:10:52 +0530

I was in China two years back had visited the cherry plantation of the China Academy of Agricultural Sciences. There I saw a simple but very effective technique to control birds. They were putting nylon fibre nets (not like the ones used by fishermen) put like volley ball nets around the plantation. The height of the net was adjusted in such a manner that it commensurated with the normal flying height of the birds. So it was about a metre wide, fixed like a volley ball play ground nuts. The birds used to get trapped in this net and could not come out. They ultimately died in a day or two. The sight of trapped birds and their distress calls probably frightened other birds and they keep away. It was quite inexpensive and VERY effective.

I had taken a few pictures of this system and was looking for them. Unfortunately they are lost somewhere. So I am not able to show these.

I can try to get in touch with those people in China and get details of these nets.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>