nafex - [NAFEX] bird protection for cherries

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bird protection for cherries
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 06:11:10 -0400

I use woven propylene netting to exclude birds from cherries (and blueberries) and it is much easier to use than monofiliment and I suspect, floating row cover.  Coverage is completed in just a few minutes once you have a properly sized piece ready and you can reuse the product for many years, which is fortunate because it's relatively expensive.

The drawback is that it isn't widely available in wide sizes and a mature cherry can easily require a 45' square to fully wrap a tree, and that's a tree that's been kept compact through diligent pruning.  Tying pieces together is time consuming.  It also is only available, as far as I know, in very long rolls (700') so the expense of having more than you need can kill the deal.

I have lost my source for the product because I'm still working on the 700' roll I bought several years ago but there are several on the internet.  I only wish it was strong enough to reliably stop squirrels..