nafex - [NAFEX] Bird protection for cherries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bird protection for cherries
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:00:57 -0500

I leave my fake (plastic) cherries hanging in my cherry trees all year long. I have them on dead soft aluminum wire so if I forget to expand a hook, they don't grow into their branch. When the birds arrive in Spring, they start pecking on the fake cherries. The birds get bored with it and apparently think the real cherries are plastic too. I should mention that the fake berries fool/thwart the parent birds and the fledglings are only fooled if there is an expanse of time between fledging and fruit ripening.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: