nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red and Black currants for warm climes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red and Black currants for warm climes
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 19:30:13 -0400

That sounds reasonable.  I have "Crandall" that I got from two sources.  One was Miller Nurseries (who sold it to me as Consort, but it's a Crandall) and the other is St. Lawrence Nurseries.  I'm pretty sure the two plants are the same clone.  They sprout, flower, ripen at exactly the same time every year.

Either they are self-fruitful or else they aren't the same clone, however.  I get heavy fruit set of large fruits that appear to contain viable seed.  I think the flavor is good, although it's a little too something for me.  (too fruity?  can't exactly say.)  I like it best mixed with some other fruit in a pie.  The berries freeze well if you plan to cook them.

Ginda