nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red and Black currants for warm climes

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red and Black currants for warm climes
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:33:17 -0600

Richard,

Yes, I'm evaluating quite a few clove and golden currants. This will be the first year for any of them to fruit other than 'Crandall', so I can't make any fruit comparisons yet. These are a mixture of seedlings, both wild collected and some 'Crandall' crosses, along with some named and un-named selections from the Corvallis repository. They all handled last summer's intense heat and drought really well, were little affected by the Easter freeze, and most have had no sign of disease. They have a highly variable range of bud break, bloom and resistance of the flowers to late frosts. 'Crandall' has the latest bud break and bloom of all, but a couple of others overlapped well enough that 'Crandall' has set a huge crop this spring. In the past, the fruit set was lower and the fruit small without cross-pollination.

One seedling has a very odd habit. This is from 'Crandall' x 'Gwens'. I sent some seedlings to my father in Arkansas, and this one quickly spread over a large area, and began blooming early, and never stops blooming spring through fall. Even the suckers, that pop up several feet away, start blooming almost immediately. The fruit drop off when small, so it probably needs cross-pollination. I'll be getting some suckers from it soon, so I can see how it does here.

Hal