nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fuyu and other oriental persimmon in the Northeast

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fuyu and other oriental persimmon in the Northeast
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 23:25:38 -0400

Bass, I’ve got Ichi Ke Kei Jiro unprotected here in Michigan.  Its growth has been less than I would like (this year is its third and it will be fertilized unlike the past two years).  I have not yet had blooms, so no fruit either.

I know Burnt Ridge claims Matsumoto Wase Fuyu can take zone 5, but I’m skeptical (not out of any experience or anything, just because BR’s claim is the only one I’ve seen regarding that variety’s exceptional hardiness).

Either way, were I you I would want to get the varieties on an american persimmon rootstock (rather than the kaki or lotus) as I have ready reports that the other two rootstocks are less hardy.

I have just found out that I have a racoon living in a nearby silver maple (a hollow in an old branch) that will need to be dealt with ASAP.  ( not that it has anything to do with the persimmon, but I worry that the coon might mess with my garden )

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan