nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 20:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ernest,

I grow Primus, White Imperial, Swedish White white currants, plus a fourth white whose name escapes me at the moment (might be Blanka).  I also grow Glorie des Sablones, a pink very similar to Pink Champaign and a number of reds.

Of these, I do really prefer the taste of the white currants with Glorie des Sablones a close second over the reds.  For me for fresh eating, I do not harvest the whites (as well as the others) until I have noticed some of them starting to drop later in the season.  The whites make an excellent sipping juice which can be mixed with other commercial fruit juices.

But, gosh, the reds are so beautiful..

Lee is far more expert than I and I do not feel comfortable in speaking to quality.  The Swedish White will start producing this year for me - it is a recent addition.

Despite 10 years of annual tasting, I still cannot tolerate the taste of the blacks, except for Crandall

John

Ernest Plutko <ernestplutko@wiktel.com> wrote:
Has anyone grown Blanka white currant? I read white currants are not
high quality. I had Red Lake currants in the past but I didn't like
the fruit. Blanka supposedly comes from Slovakia. I am of Slovakian
heritage. That is the only reason I ordered Blanka. I also ordered
a black currant and a red currant to try them.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----