nafex - [NAFEX] Two Apple Problems

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Two Apple Problems
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:35:34 -0700

There are two problems I would like to see what others have done to solve the problems.

#1.  I get cracking on some of my apples.  Some crack every year.  Others crack only occasionally.  I have read that there are two things that can help the solve problem and they are applications of calcium and boron.  Calcium can be applied to the ground or there is a spray version.  What is the timing on the spray version?  What is the timing on the boron spray?

#2.  Some years I get a lot of preharvest drop and other years not very much.  What can be done to decrease this problem?

Thanks,
Bob
Western Washington