nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New pesticide for mosquitoes!?!

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New pesticide for mosquitoes!?!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

I will agree that the soap does not attract the bugs, but it does change the surface tention and they will drown, also soap will kill any larve that in the water (I guess because of the same reason).  I have done this every summer for the last few years, and the water buckets I leave out are always clean. I uese about a 2 teaspoons to a 5 gallon bucket, and mix in well.

If larve is in there already they all fall to the bottom within half an hour.

I have not done anything with mouthwash

mddorogi@comcast.net wrote:
Well, I hoped it would work on curculio, but I kind of doubt it... http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp

Nice thought though!
From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
I just received this e-mail from a good friend in Florida who works here at the orchard from September through October.  If this really works on mosquitoes, what other insects may it work on?

The best  way of getting rid of mosquitoes is Listerine, the original medicinal type. The Dollar Store-type works, too. I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone.  A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine,  and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce  spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes.  And viola! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area,  and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.

OUR  FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target, and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is no as expensive to u se &nb sp;as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try  this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame.  Spray around the window frames and even inside the dog house if you have one. Also can be used to dab any bites you receive. It will stop the itching quicker and go away  faster