nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Overwintering Passionflowers

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: <rmelrose@danvilleVT.net>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Overwintering Passionflowers
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:33 -0400

I've got an unused bedroom (with a large double, south facing windows) into
which I move some of my plants. Among these are a jasmine and 5
passionflowers. Some of the passionflowers lose most of their leaves, a
couple will bloom on and off through the winter (one called Lavender Lady
has been blooming for the past month) and some of them don't seem to be
affected much at all by being inside 1/2 of the year or more.

I do nothing unusual for them, except for one variety whose fruit I do NOT
eat which gets a systemic pesticide as it seems to be first and most
severely affected by spidermites. I've found that poisoning this one
variety seems to keep the rest clear of the mites. I don't even have
special lights set up for them, though I do have a couple of those "grow"
lights plugged into the ceiling light (though as that room is mostly unused
those lights are only rarely ever turned on)

I also have one that survives and comes back and blooms outside with little
to no protection at all. (passion flower incarnata) Passion flower lutea
has smaller, less impressive flowers, but it is reportedly hardy to zone 5
(so who knows, with a little mulch and protection) you might be able to grow
it as well!

Scott Hills
Michigan 6b

That is interesting -- the overwintering passionflowers I mean! How does
this work for you, I had not thought of trying them. What is your set up --
anything unusual?

Spring has just sprung here over 4 days -- from over a foot of snow to
broken
buds on almost everything. Just goes to show what an extended period of
70deg days will do.

Richard
Vermont 4a

sites.