nafex - [NAFEX] Thorny tangled canes?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thorny tangled canes?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:24:05 -0500

Martha L. Davis wrote, "................but wanted Marion, Boysen or Logan. The problem with Marion (and I suspect the rest of them) is that the Chicago area doesn't get consistent snow cover. The roots are hardy, but since they bear on second year canes it is a rare year that you get fruit. However you get the full effect of a thorny tangle of canes. Under those conditions I'd rather have a high quality mulberry."

My Boysenberry grows entirely prostrate/horizontal. I have to tell visitors to watch where they step because the vines go unseen. That's a real advantage because they need almost no snow cover for winter protection. Come Spring, I just pull them out of wherever they are hiding and trellis them.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Thorny tangled canes?, Jim Fruth, 04/23/2008