nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberries

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberries
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:01:01 -0500

Was there rampant growth in Alabama? I saw the plant database
previously but I have never seen R armeniacus growing in the East or
Midwest. Maybe I should say I never recognized any. I did see robust
blackberries growing in a vacant lot a little north of St Paul. Mn.
They grew in arches about 15 feet long and had thick, thorny canes.
They had fairly sparse, tasty blackberries. I took a few small
plants 300 miles north to grow but they died over the first winter.
I'm wondering if they were Himalayan blackberries. The only native
blackberries I have seen in Minnesota were small spindly canes with
poor quality fruit.