nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberries
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:16:59 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I have seen Himalayan blackberry growing in
Alabama last summer while on a plant collecting trip.
In fact, the USDA plants database shows it as being
somewhat widespread across the US and even into
Ontario:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch?keywordquery=Rubus+armeniacus&mode=sciname&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

I think part of the reason why it grows so rampantly
out here is our climate, but it is also just an
incredibly vigorous and difficult to control plant.

As for flavor, it is ok but definitely lacking. I
find that blackberry flavor is a matter of taste
depending on what you are accustomed to. I used to
like them and still eat a few on occasion but I much
prefer the cultivated trailing cultivars such as
Cascade, Silvan, and Marion. They have a more intense
and balanced flavor profile than does R. armeniacus.

Michael

--- Ernest Plutko <ernestplutko@wiktel.com> wrote:

> It seems to be unclear where this species came from.
> The Internet
> suggests Armenia, Europe, India or the Himalayas.
> Seems to be hardy
> to zone 5. Some people like the berry and some
> don't. I never ate
> one so I don't have an opinion. Have you seen the
> Himalayan
> blackberry grow anywhere else in the US except the
> West Coast. Maybe
> the rampant growth on the West Coast is do to the
> weather there?

> allowed.
> reproduction on web sites.
> claim you have permission!