nafex - [NAFEX] black berries

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] black berries
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:31:34 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

In Illinois my parents brought me a Marion berry starts. I'm from Oregon
originally and I don't really think much of the flavor of the hardier
thornless upright blackberries, but wanted Marion, Boysen or Logan. The
problem with Marion (and I suspect the rest of them) is that the Chicago area
doesn't get consistent snow cover. The roots are hardy, but since they bear
on second year canes it is a rare year that you get fruit. However you get
the full effect of a thorny tangle of canes. Under those conditions I'd
rather have a high quality mulberry.

Now that i am someplace slightly warmer I am trying Black Diamond which is
supposed to have the Marion flavor with a bit more hardiness.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] black berries, Martha L. Davis, 04/22/2008