nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Senisble

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Senisble
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:17:28 -0700

i agree: explaining ipm to the average consumer who knows nothing about growing food, much less fruit, is a hard slog.  the concept behind it though is fairly straight forward though: concessions, common sense, and compromise.  we all daily make decisions that compromise our beliefs, what ever those may be.  as someone who believes in organics and happens to live somewhere where it is possible to grow fruit organically, to spray imidan or not is a decision i don't have to face.  but i have a great deal of respect for folks like alan, ginda, dennis and donna, minimizing their need to spray because they are also integrating organic and holistic methods of soil and fertility management, cultural practices, varietal selections, etc, into their fruit growing decision making.  i think the ways that more and more growers are turning to ipm techniques that then naturally lead them to organic methods (with or without applying those emotionally charged labels or certifications) is inspiring, especially in the bug and disease beleaguered eastern growing climate.
kudos,
karen
ps, when do we get those promised 72 virgins?