nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Senisble

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Senisble
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:03:11 -0500

Thanks Dennis for your input.  Personally, I wish there was a LOT more emphasis on IPM fruit.  I may have said this before, but to me it's the way to go for commercial production.  Please, give me the choice to buy fruit that's been sprayed 2-4X instead of 24X.  But the grocery offers only conventional or organic, and I feel lucky to have even that choice now.  I think if they offered some IPM fruit, with a little explanation of what it is, I think the public would vote yes with their wallets.
    As for Stephen's imaginary organic apple cobbler, I have eaten something even more impossible.  In 1988 I dried 4 bushels of peaches, and was forced to can another 4 dozen quarts because the dryers were full.  These peaches were grown in TENNESSEE of all places, with no sprays or chemicals of any kind.  (In fact, I had no organic sprays either.  I can't claim I grew the things, they were volunteers in the garden and grew themselves.)  It took the 5 of us 2 years to eat them all.  I think they have heavy duty chemical medications for hallucinations like that.       Donna