nafex - Re: [NAFEX] CCA

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] CCA
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:12:53 -0400

David Stilwell of the Connecticut ag station did some work with plant
uptake of arsenic from CCA.

Years ago I had his report of increased As uptake by brassicas. In this
report he describes work with brassica and lettuces and refers to work
of other authors.

Stilwell DE. Excerpts on uptake of arsenic by plants grown near CCA
preserved wood. New
Haven, CT: The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station Department of
Analytical
Chemistry.

http://www.noccawood.ca/stilwell1.htm

Another thing to consider is the CCA content of 'hardwood' mulches.
Many commercial mulches may contain varying concentrations of CCA, a
common way to dispose of the wood and a good way enrich your local
environment with As.

I exclusively use pine bark mulch in my landscape now because of this
risk.

Betsy Hilborn