nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Genetics of sweet kernel Apricots

  • From: "Tree Taxi" <treetaxi@mcleodusa.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Genetics of sweet kernel Apricots
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:10:56 -0600

I've had a Wilson Apricot for 25 years. In the few years that it has had a good apricot crop squirrels start eating the pits when he apricot get to marble size. Almost all of the crop is gone by the time apricots get 1 inch in diameter. Two years ago I declared war on the squirrels and have given safety swim lessons to 103 the first year 136 last year. As a result I actually got some edible apricots last year despite a late frost. My experience has been if you have squirrels you don't get apricots.

Greg Jordan zone 5 near Denver, Colorado

PS. When I first got this apricot tree it regularly bloomed in February over the years it has started to bloom later to the point that it is currently booming.