nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Virus Warning

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Apple-Crop <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Virus Warning
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:42:13 -0400

Well, sort of.... There is a genuine worm which has been circulating since 2006, called the Warezov.W worm, and it does do nasty things.  But, it is not new, and it is detected by virus scanning software.  (To confirm what I am saying, go look at Snopes directly. [I didn't actually use the URL below, but went in directly with the URL www.snopes.com, and followed it from there].
The advice not to open attachments from sources you don't know is still valid.  The message carying this worm does have the header "Mail Server Report", and you should be alerted to the fact that it isn't legit by the errors in English in the message. But, really, it isn't the end of the world, it is not a new strain, and the virus checkers will recognise it.